Highlights and Successes:
- The Scholastic Bowl team competed at the Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association (IHSSBCA) Kick-off at Stevenson High School. The A Team placed 4th overall in the Competitive Division and the B Team won the Standard Division. Individual top scorers were Sophomore Vikas Reddy placed 7th and Junior Kevin Chen placed 1010h in the individual scoring in the Competitive Division out of 40 players. In the Standard Division Sophomore Kristina Chen placed 3rd , Freshmen Justin Chiang placed 7th, and Junior Alex Guan placed 12th out of over 120 players in the Standard Division.
- Congratulations to Coach Kevin Palmer and the Fremd Scholastic Bowl Team on placing 3rd in the Northern Illinois History Bowl at Fenwick H.S.
- Congratulations to the following 38 Fremd Music Students selected to be ILMEA District 7 musicians: BAND: Sylvia Eltherington, Andy Hong, Jacob Leczycki, Kevin Li, Hancine Mok, Bethany Sorman, Nick Szoblik, and Ryo Terada; ORCHESTRA: Sarah Akutsu, Lauren Cardoza, Andres Carrero, Steffi Chen, Daniel Choi, Gina Kang, Hannah Lin and Ben Mathew; CHORUS: Mary Kate Baughman, Lauren Berryhill, Angie Cornwell, Paige Dirkes-Jacks, Jason Freer, Allison Gile, Katie Haggett,Leah Hillesheim, Natalia Lastowiecka, Noah Mayo, Caleb Muller, Arinze Okammor, Kay Petrie, Ria Ravi, Collin Schroeder, Vaishnavi Vembar, Annie Yamamoto and Jerry Zheng; JAZZ ENSEMBLE: Jacob Cushman, Janet Kim, Kevin Li and Joseph Ranieri.
- Congratulations to Coach Bob Widlowski and the Fremd Basketball Team on winning the Mundelein Thanksgiving tournament. Congratulations to All Tournament winners Brian Dompke and Luke Schoffstall and Kyle Sliwa, Tournament MVP.
- Congratulations to Coach Martin Zacharia and the Fremd Debate Team on their performance at the Libertyville PF/LD Invitational. Award winners include: Junior Varsity Division: Kashif Javid, 2nd Place & 2nd Place Speaker; Josh Park & Michael Murakami, 4th Place; Michael Murakami, 3rd Place Speaker; Riley Corrigan, 10th Place Speaker; Josh Park, 10th Place Speaker. Novice Division: Eileen Peng, 2nd Place & 2nd Place Speaker; Kylie Zhang, 6th Place Speaker; Nipun Vellupally, 10th Place Speaker.
- Congratulations to senior Nabeela Syed on placing as a semifinalist at The Glenbrooks National Debate Tournament.
Upcoming Home Activities and Varsity Events
Boys Swimming & Diving vs. Rolling Meadows H.S. - 4:30 p.m.
Boys Wrestling Varsity Dual vs. Palatine H. S. - 6:00 p.m.
Girls Basketball vs. Palatine, H.S. - 6:00 p.m.
Boys Baskeball vs. Palatine H.S. - 7:30 p.m.
Bowling Invitational @ Arlington Lanes - 9:00 a.m.
Boys Wrestling Quad @ Carl Sandburg H.S. - 10:00 a.m.
Boys Swimming & Diving Meet @ Lake Forest H.S. - 10:00 a.m.
Girls Basketball Shootout @ Fremd H.S. - 11:30 a.m.
Girls Symnastics Invitational @ Downers Grove North H.S. - 2:00 p.m.
Bowling Match vs. Hoffman Estates @ Arlington Lanes - 4:30 p.m.
Girls Gymnastics Dual @ Barrington H.S. - 6:00 p.m.
Boys Basketball vs. Rolling Meadows, H.S. - 7:30 p.m.
Bowling Match vs. Buffalo Grove H.S. @ Arlington Lanes - 4:30 p.m.
Bowling Match vs. Wheeling H.S. @ Arlington Lanes - 4:30 p.m.
Boys Swimming & Diving vs. Palatine - 4:45 p.m.
For a more complete list, please visit our Athletics Page.
Position: Spanish Teacher
Years at Fremd: First Year Teaching at Fremd High School
Life Before Fremd: I lived in Guerrero, Mexico for eleven years before moving to Highwood, IL where I attended and graduated from Highland Park High School. I then went on to attend Lake Forest College where I earned a Bachelor’s degree with a major in Spanish and double minor in education and music, and I also earned a Master’s degree in teaching. I graduated in May of 2016 and I was very lucky to obtain a job offer from Fremd in the same month.
Hobbies/Interests: I love to teach Spanish, travel and learn about different cultures. Also, I enjoy playing the guitar and dancing to Latin music. As well as being artistic, I try to be active by playing sports such as basketball and soccer.
Insider Tip for Parents:
Encourage your children to be responsible and optimistic.
Set aside some time to ask your children to share what they are learning in Spanish class or other classes.
Ask the PrincipalAre you curious about something at Fremd but have never asked? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your question is pertinent to a wider audience, I will include it in the next blog post.