Booster Craft Fair Volunteers
The Fremd Booster Club will be hosting its annual Spring Craft Fair on Saturday, April 8th from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Once again, we are reaching out to Fremd students to ask them to volunteer some time to help us make this event run smoothly. We'll be needing volunteers for Friday evening, April 7th, for the set-up (taping out booths, putting up signs, etc.). We will also need students on the day of the event with two time slots available. Our biggest need on Saturday is from 6:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. helping the vendors bring all of their items into the building. Throughout the day, we'll also need help with concessions, providing general information, and helping vendors take items back to their vehicles.
The Fremd Booster Club benefits all Fremd students and activities, and we are grateful for your help in previous years. Listed below is a link to the Holiday Craft Fair Volunteer sign-up page. Please take a few moments to let your students know about this volunteer opportunity and encourage them to help out at the Craft Fair. Your help is truly appreciated. We know this is the same day as the ACT so that will make it impossible for some students to volunteer on Saturday. That's why we really need your help to get the word out to all the students.
Link to Spring Craft Fair Sign-up page:
VIKING BOOSTER CLUB SCHOLARSHIPS
Viking Booster Club scholarship applications are now available! The Viking Booster Club is proud to announce we will be awarding between 15-20 scholarships for $1,000 each to outstanding members of the senior class to help pay for educational expenses. The recipients will be chosen on the basis of their accomplishments in the areas of Fremd Activities, Leadership, Community Service, and an All-Around category. We encourage ALL seniors that are planning to further their education at a four year college/university, community college or trade school to apply. Financial need and academic accomplishments are not a consideration for any of these scholarships, but the student’s family must be a member of the Fremd Viking Booster Club. Applications must be submitted to the Fremd Student Services Office no later than 3pm on Friday, April 7, 2017. The application can be found on the Fremd Viking Booster Club Scholarship webpage.
Media Center Photo Update
|Tear-down is nearly complete, and new walls are being built. These studs are lining the wall adjacent to Rm 129 and will be part of the new Tutoring Center.|
Highlights and Successes:
- Congratulations to Chris Grattoni and the Fremd High School Math Team for earning first place at the ICTM Regional Competition at Harper College. Kinlenn Peng, Nipun Velupally, and Edward Li were recognized for their perfect scores on the written event. The following teams earned first place: Freshman Algebra I Team (Alice Chen, Eileen Peng, Kinllen Peng, Sean Randunne, Nipun Velupally, Sharon Wu); Sophomore Geometry Team (Hannah Chen, Kristina Chen, Kevin Li, Anthony Mu, Abhy Venkat, Flora Zheng); Junior Algebra II Team (Kevin Chen, Rose Dinh, Jesse Huang, Edward Li, Advay Mahajan, Elizabeth Perez); Freshman/Sophomore 8-Person (Alice Chen, Eileen Peng, Kinllen Peng, Sean Randunne, Ed Guo, Kevin Li, Michael Murakami, Flora Zheng); Freshman/Sophomore 2-Person teams (Kinllen Peng and Kristina Chen); Junior-Senior 8 Person (Gretchen Coleman, Jesse Huang, Edward Li, Adhith Palla, Lucy Cho, Andrew Hwang, Airi Nakayama, Jun Sung), Junior-Senior 2 Person (Kevin Chen and Adam Quinn); and Oralist Competition (Kevin Chen and Adam Quinn).
- The following teams earned second place: Senior Pre-Calculus Team (Lucy Cho, Andrew Hwang, Airi Nakayama, Adam Quinn, Alvin Shanmugam, Jun Sung); Calculator Team (Nipun Velupally, Anthony Mu, Rose Dinh, Alvin Shanmugam, Akash Mukherjee)
- Fremd’s first place finish at ICTM Regionals has qualified the team for the ICTM State Competition at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, May 6.
- Congratulations to the Fremd Jazz Ensemble (Matt Moore - director), Jazz Combo (JT Teichert – director) and Jazz Lab Band (JT Teichert, Jeremy Figlewicz – directors) who all received straight “Division 1/Superior” ratings in their categories at Saturday’s “Jazz in the Meadows” Festival. The Jazz Ensemble was awarded first place in the 4A School category, which included a second performance at the Grand Finale Concert! The Jazz Combo also had an incredible performance, being awarded first place in the Large School Combo category. This was the first time that the Fremd Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Combo were awarded top honors in their categories.
- Congratulations to freshman bassist Joey Ranieri who was awarded the top overall soloist award for the 4A Jazz Band division and the Large School Combo division!
- Congratulations to the following State medalists in Boys Swimming: Medley Relay: Tony Lee, Alex Schillinger, Nick Seroni and Nick Nevins - 9th place medal; 50 FR: Nick Nevins (and a new school record); 10th place medal: 100 Breaststroke - Alex Schillinger; 10th place medals: 400 FR Relay: Nick Nevins, Danny Konishi, Nick Seroni and Arnas Maciunas.
- Congratulations to Coach Martin Zacharia and the Fremd Debate Team on winning two team awards: 2nd Place Invitational Sweepstakes and 3rd Place Championship Sweepstakes at the ICDA State Debate Tournament. Award winners are as follows: Nabeela Syed, All-State, 2nd Place, Best Presiding Officer; Breity Breitenstein, 3rd Place, Best Presiding Officer; Sarah Yoon, 3rd Place, Best Presiding Officer. Bill Gao, Best Presiding Officer.
- Congratulations to Anniemarie Clooney (’17), Stephanie Dodgen (’18), Sara Hill (’17), and Jackson Hirsch (’17), on being selected to have their work shown at the 2017 Illinois High School Art Exhibition. More than 100 Illinois Schools were represented and of the over 2500 individual pieces on exhibit, Sara Hill received Honorable Mention in the category of Sculpture.
- Congratulations to Fremd’s competitive showchoir, Soundscape, and director Christina Collins. They received 1st place and Best Vocals in their division at their final competition at John Hersey High School. Allison Nakazawa was also recognized as an outstanding performer from the group. They are in their second year as a competitive group and had a very successful season with two 1st place ratings and two 2nd place ratings. The group involves 41 singers/dancers and 9 instrumentalists in their combo.
- Congratulations to the following medal winners at the State HOSA Competition: Shravya Chanamolu – 1st Place on Knowledge Test: Human Growth and Development; Gabrielle Balek – 2nd Place on Knowledge Test: Transcultural Healthcare; Samruddhi Ayachit, Anjali Devabhaktuni, Shreya Gosh, and Pragya Kansal – 3rd Place for Community Awareness event; Top Ten winners include: Pragya Kansal – 4th Place in State for Medical Spelling; Shreya Mukherjee – 6th Place in State for Medical Math; Vineela Yetrintala and Sanjana Manne – 6th Place in State for Health Education; Kashif Javid, Adhith Palla and Surya Veeravalli – 6th Place in State for Biomedical Debate.
- Congratulations to the following State BPA Award Winners: 5th place Yulia Odinokova - Advanced Interview Skills and 3rd place Entrpreneurship (National Qualifier); 1st place Lydia Hahm - Banking & Finance (National Qualifier); 8th place Katherine Wu - Banking & Finance; 5th place Tim Okonek - Business Law & Ethics - Pilot (National Qualifier); 2nd place Maegan Jong - Prepared Speech (National Qualifier); 8th place Priyal Gosar - Presentation Management - Individual; 6th place Nathan Stevens - Presentation Management - Individual;
- Congratulations to Coach David Yates and the Girls Basketball Team on placing 4th at the State Competition.
- Congratulations to Coach Bob Widlowski and the Boys Basketball Team on winning the Sectional Semifinals.
Upcoming Home Activities and Varsity Events
Boys Basketball Sectional Finals - Robert Morris University, 7:00 p.m.
Scholastic Bowl Sectional Tournament
Boys Water Polo Quad @ Stevenson H.S. - 1:00 p.m.
Girls Track & Field Invitational @ Huntley H.S. - 2:00 p.m.
Girls Softball vs. Fenton @ Redmond Park - 4:30 p.m.
Boys Water Polo vs. HEHS - 5:30 p.m.
Girls Water Polo @ HEHS - 5:30 p.m.
Girls Badminton @ Glenbard H.S. - 5:30 p.m.
Boys Basketball Super Sectional
Girls Badminton @ Hinsdale South H.S. - 4:30 p.m.
Boys Gymnastics vs. Conant H.S. - 6:00 p.m.
Girls Soccer vs. St. Charles East - 7;00 p.m.
Girls Water Polo vs. Barrington H.S. - 5:30 p.m.
Boys Water Polo @ Barrington H.S. - 5:30 p.m.
Boys Lacrosse @ Maine South H.S. - 7:30 p.m.
Girls Softball Quad @ Heritage Park - 5:00 p.m.
Girls Soccer vs. Lake Zurich H.S. - 7:00 p.m.
Boys Basketball State Finals
Girls Water Polo @ Naperville Central H.S. - 5:00 p.m.
Girls Badminton Quad @ FHS - 5:00 p.m.
Boys Gymnastics Invitational @ Hinsdale Central H.S. - 6:00 p.m.
For a more complete list, please visit our Athletics Page.
Name: Bob Widlowski
Position: Social Studies Teacher/Varsity Boys Basketball Coach
Years at Fremd: 22 years @ FHS; 26 years coaching Basketball and 15 years Head Coach @ FHS
Life Before Fremd: 4 1/2 years - Taught @ Lake Zurich H.S.
Hobbies/Interests: Exercising , watching sons sports/ activities
Ask the Principal
Are you curious about something at Fremd but have never asked? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your question is pertinent to a wider audience, I will include it in the next blog post.