A Few Words From Mr. Tenopir
Beginning in March, we are set to undergo the first sessions of PARCC Testing. As you may recall from one of my previous blog posts, PARCC Testing is replacing our old model of testing, the Prairie State Achievement Exams (PSAE). PARCC Testing targets specific courses, whereas the PSAE targeted the junior class. In the first year of testing, the following courses will be tested. If your student is enrolled in any of these courses, he/she will take all of the exams for that particular course.
English/Language Arts III (Jr. English)
E301 and E331
E302 and E336
E319 (AP Jr. English)
M308 and M328
There are two testing windows for PARCC Testing. During the first window from March 9 - April 3, students will take Performance Based Assessments (PBAs) for these courses. During the second window, from April 27 - May 22, students will take End-of-Year Assessments (EOYs). Here is how the test distribution looks for each kind of test:
English/Language Arts III
Normally, I would have preferred to communicate our exact testing plans to you at the beginning of the year. Since this is the first year of using the PARCC Tests, the Illinois State Board of Education is finding that the concept of PARCC Testing is not transitioning well from theory into practice. As a result, District 211 is still receiving information weekly about testing rules and best practices. I am confident that we will have a finalized format to communicate with you in the coming weeks.
If you have any questions about how the testing may impact your student, don’t hesitate to contact me via email (email@example.com) or phone (847.755.2610).
Highlights and Successes
- Congratulations to Coach Kristen Newby and the Girls Frosh-Soph. Swimming & Diving Team on winning the Conference Championship for the 3rd time in a row.
- Congratulations to Coach Brian Newby and the Girls JV Swimming & Diving Team on winning the Conference Championship for the 3rd time in a row. Medalists include: Medley Relay - Jiamin Huang, Anna Miller, Jennie Yang, and Becca Rutkowski; 200 IM - Jiamin Huang; 50 Free - Becca Rutkowski and 100 Free - Becca Rutkowski.
- Congratulations to Coach Andrew Kittrell and the Girls Varsity Swimming & Diving Team on winning the Conference Championship. Championship Medalists include: Medley Relay - Grace Grzybek, Loretta Stelnicki, Saki Takumiya and Grace Kneller; 100 Fly - Saki Takumiya and 200 Free Relay - Grace Kneller, Loretta Stelnicki, Grace Grzybek, and Erica King.
- Eight school records have been broken this year by the Girls Swim Team including: Medley Relay - Grace Grzybek, Loretta Stelnicki, Saki Takumiya and Grace Kneller; 50 Free - Grace Kneller; 100 Free - Grace Kneller; 500 Free - Erica King; 200 Free Relay - Grace Kneller, Loretta Stelnicki, Grace Grzybek, Erica King; 100 Back - Grace Grzybek; 100 Breast - Loretta Stelnicki and 400 Free Relay - Grace Kneller, Erica King, Julia Portmann, and Erica King.
- Congratulations to Coach Andrew Kittrell and the Girls Varsity Swimming & Diving Team on winning the Sectional Meet. Championship Medalists and State Qualifiers include: Medley Relay - Grace Grzybek, Loretta Stelnicki, Saki Takumiya and Grace Kneller; 100 Fly - Saki Takumiya; 200 Free Relay - Grace Kneller, Loretta Stelnicki, Grace Grzybek and Erica King; 100 Breast - Loretta Stelnicki and 400 Free Relay - Grace Kneller, Erica King, Julia Portmann and Loretta Stelnicki. Other State Qualifiers include: Diving - Sydney Plichta and Sarah McTageu; 200 Free - Erica King; 200 IM - Grace Grzybek; 50 Free - Becca Rutkowski, and Emily Kini; 100 Free - Grace Kneller; 500 Free - Erica King; and 100 Back - Grace Grzybek and Saki Takumiya.
- Congratulations to the following All American Girl Swimmers: Medley Relay - Grace Grzybek, Loretta Stelnicki, Saki Takumiya and Grace Kneller; and 200 Free Relay - Grace Kneller, Loretta Stelnicki, Grace Grzybek and Erica King.
- Congratulations to the following September Social Studies Students of the Month: Westley Walker, Will Pankratz, Davide Sacchi and Jack Albrecht.
- Congratulations to the following Varsity Debaters who won awards at the Naperville North Student Congress tournament: Leonard Lee, 2nd Place Chamber Award and Madisen Hursey, 3rd Place Chamber Award.
- Congratulations to this week’s Viking Pride winners: Kyle Adames, Sarah Beale, Angela Choi, Melinda Coleman, Luis Cortez Madera, Emily Demarco, Kylie Hess, Sarah Hynds, Ewa Konszewska, William LeFevre, Matrix LoPiccolo-Kleine, Safa Mustafa, Larry ni, Angelina Oquendo, Angela Rublaitus, Lashawn Street, Riho Takahashi, and Ana Vitorino.
- Congratulations to Coach Steve Keller on being named Coach of the Year by Illinois High Schools Coaches Association.
Upcoming Home Activities and Varsity Events
Girls State Swimming & Diving @ Evanston
Diving - 9:00 a.m.
Swimming - 3:30 p.m.
Girls Varsity Basketball vs Lake Zurich Thanksgiving Tournament - 7:00 p.m. (home)
Girls State Swimming & Diving Finals - 12;00 p.m.
Pom Invite - 12:00 p.m.
Boys Varsity Basketball vs. Fenton Thanksgiving Tournament - 7:00 p.m. (Fenton)
Boys Wrestling @ Lake Zurich - 5:00 p.m.
Girls Basketball @ Lake Zurich Thanksgiving Tournament - 7:00 p.m.
Non Attendance Day
Wrestling @. McHenry - 1:00 p.m.
Girls Basketball @Brookfield Central - TBA
Variety Show - 7:00 p.m.
Incoming Freshman Testing
Holiday Choral Concert
Booster Holiday Craft Fair
Winter Band Concert
Orchesis Holiday Show
December 22- Jan.2
For a more complete list, please visit our Athletics Page.
Ask the Principal
Q: Why are there so few bike racks at Fremd? Is there a plan to make Fremd more accessible by bike?
A: When the weather turns cold, we have fewer riders, but this is an important question regardless of the time of year. At the beginning of the year, we ordered more bike racks to be placed around the school--their delivery is still delayed. While there are some bike racks in the front of the school, we have more space behind the school to put bike racks. Since some parents have shared with us that parking behind the school is inconvenient for their sons/daughters, we are examining ways to increase/improve bike parking in the front of the building, but nothing substantial will be done until the summer, when we give the whole front parking lot an overhaul.
Are you curious about something at Fremd but have never asked? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your question is pertinent to a wider audience, I will include it in the next blog post.