Writers Week Approaching
The 23rd installment of Writers Week will take place February 6-10. In addition to several student and faculty writers, Fremd High School is proud to host many accomplished writers, including:
- Jeremy McCarter, co-author of Hamilton: The Revolution (written with Lin-Manuel Miranda)
- Taylor Mali, a poet who may be most well-known for his spoken word gem, “What Teachers Make.”
- Chicago writers Billy Lombardo and Joe Meno
- Writers Week favorite Mary Fons
- Former Fremd English teacher AJ Pine
- And many more
Check out the schedule and author bios at https://writersweekfhs.com/
Register Soon for the Dinner Dance
The Booster Dinner Dance is February 11 at Meridian Banquets in Rolling Meadows. Have you purchased your tickets? Time is running out to reserve your spot at what is shaping up to be one of the best-attended dinner dances in the 22-year history of the event. Register at events.org/Fremd.
Highlights and Successes:
- Congratulations to Coach Elise Saisi and the Girls Gymnastics Team on placing 2nd at the Mari- Rae Sopper Invite. Sam Shirmer was the vault champion, Abby Moran took second on floor, and Courtney Ng took second on beam.
- Congratulations to the Fremd Jazz Ensemble (Matt Moore - Director), Jazz Lab Band (JT Teichert, Jeremy Figlewicz – Directors), and the Jazz Combo (JT Teichert – Director) for their Division 1/Superior ratings at the 40th Annual Northshore Jazz Festival at Glenbrook South HS this past Saturday. All three jazz groups received straight Division 1 ratings in their individual divisions from the collegiate band directors and professional jazz musician adjudicators. The Jazz Combo also tied for first place in the Jazz Combo division. Bassist Joey Ranieri was awarded the top jazz combo soloist award for the festival. John Kim (alto saxophone, Jazz Lab Band) and Jacob Cushman (drums, Jazz Combo) were also awarded soloist medals in their divisions.
- Congratulations to the Scholastic Bowl teams for their success at Saturday’s Fremd Invitational Tournament. The Varsity A Team took 2nd and the B Team took 5th in the competitive Academic Division, which had some of the top teams in the state. In the Frosh-Soph tournament, the A Team took 2nd in the competitive Academic Division and the B Team won the Scholar Division. Additionally, last Saturday at Stevenson High School’s History Bowl tournament, the Varsity team took 2nd overall.
Upcoming Home Activities and Varsity Events
ILMEA Music All-State - U of I
Boys Swimming & Diving Meet vs. Schaumburg H.S. - 4:30 p.m.
Boys/Girls Basketball @ Schaumburg H.S. - 5:30/7:30 p.m.
Boys Wrestling MSL Championship @ Prospect H.S. - 7:00 a.m.
Girls Bowling Conference Meet @ Arlington Lanes - 8:00 a.m.
Competitive Cheer Sectionals @ Conant H.S. - 3:20 p.m.
Boys Basketball vs. Grant H.S. - 5:30 p.m.
ILMEA Music All-State @ Peoria, IL
Competitive Dance State @ Bloomington, IL
Girls Gymnastics Regionals @ FHS - 6:00 p.m.
Girls Basketball @ Hoffman Estates H.S. - 7:30 p.m.
Variety Show - Auditorium, 7:00 p.m.
For a more complete list, please visit our Athletics Page.
Name: Ruben Hinojosa
Position: Physical Education Teacher 22 years,
Years at Fremd: 15 years
Life Before Fremd: PE teacher at Winston Campus Junior High, Financial Advisor/ Insurance and Mutual Fund Sales
Hobbies/Interests: Hanging out with my 2 boys Chase (7) and Brody (5), Playing golf and reading. Yoga. Working on improving our home with my wife Michelle, 13 years.
Insider Tip for Parents: As difficult as it is push off being a friend of your children until they are on their own, and remember that it is ok to let our kids fail every once in a while.
Ask the PrincipalAre you curious about something at Fremd but have never asked? Email me at email@example.com. If your question is pertinent to a wider audience, I will include it in the next blog post.